Lassi is believed to have originated around 1000 BC ago in Punjab, India. Even though the exact time of its creation is unknown, there has been a reference to its benefits from the Samhita period about 2000 years ago. Also, the ayurvedic texts describe Lassi as Snigdha (unctuous), Madhura (sweet), Sheetala (cooling), and Sara (laxative).
Hydrates the body
One of the most commonly known lassi benefits is that it’s super hydrating. It hydrates you in the scorching summer heat by cooling the digestive tract and washing down fats from the food pipe.
Helps with digestion
The benefits of Lassi include reducing irritation in the stomach lining that occurs due to acid reflux. It relieves you of discomfort associated with acidity.
Provides beneficial nutrients
Lassi is loaded with nutrients like protein, healthy fat, and essential micronutrients such as calcium, Vitamin A, and Iron. It can also provide a balanced amount of electrolytes such as sodium and potassium.
Now sharing 3 easy, flavourful and energising recipes with you.
- Add 1 part yoghurt to 3 parts of cool water along with ½ teaspoon Black Salt or Himalayan Pink Salt,
- Now add ¼ teaspoon of roasted cumin powder.
- Finish off with mint (pudina) leaves as garnish. Consume immediately or store in the refrigerator for prolonged use.
- Add 1 part of yoghurt to 3 parts of cool water along with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Add ice cubes to enhance its refreshing effects.
- Chop 1 cup of ripe mango
- Add 1 cup of plain yoghurt and ½ glass of water.
- Add sugar for more sweetness if desired.
- Blend using a blender and add ice cubes. Consume immediately to prevent fermentation.
* All quantities make 1 glass (250 ml)
Lassi is a powerhouse of nutrition and freshness; hence it gained a reputation as a healthy and refreshing drink globally. It can be adapted to various flavours depending upon individual preference without losing nutritional properties. The benefits of drinking Lassi also provide relief to people with metabolic issues.
There are many lassi manufacturers in India; however, Baani Lassi is available in 2 tasty versions (sweet Lassi and plain Lassi) and is a delightful solution for those who want instant refreshment in the summer months.